King Street Baptist Church associated with the Baptists Together network of churches
During our current sermon series 'Joseph: The BIG Picture Guy' we are posting weekly questions to help you think about the scripture passage. Week 3 on Sunday 7th October was 'Living with integrity" and we looked at Genesis 39:1-23. We invite you to use some or all of the following questions as you consider the scripture and sermon:
1. V2 & v20 ‘the Lord was with Joseph’. Do you think that others can see the Lord is with you in your life? How do you think you demonstrate this in your daily living?
2. V9 Joseph resists Potiphar’s wife and exclaims ‘How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?’. How do we recognise temptation for what it is and know that certain actions would be against what God teaches?
3. What are your biggest temptations? How do you deal with them? Do you try to justify them? If so why do you think you do this? If not do you think it doesn’t matter if we give in? After all God loves you?
4. Do you think it benefited Joseph to resist Potiphar’s wife taking into account where he ended up for resisting?
5. Look at Jesus temptation in the wilderness……consider what can we learn about living through difficult situations and resisting temptations for ourselves? Matt 4:1-11. (James 1:13, Matt 6:13, Matt 26:41)
6. How do you think Joseph felt about being in prison? Have you ever suffered injustice, been falsely accused? How did you deal with the emotions? Reflect on times when you have felt you were in a pit/prison. Did you know God was with you?
7. Consider what it means to live with integrity as a follower of Jesus.
8. James 1:2-4. ‘Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.’
Temptation is a fact of life and it is good to have a plan to deal with it when it happens. What is your strategy for dealing with temptation?
9. Other scriptures to discuss or use for personal meditation: Luke 11:4, Matthew 26:41, 1 Corinthians 10:13, 1 Timothy 6:9.